Brian was a handful when he was little...still is, but in a much less destructive kind of way. Jason worked A LOT when we were first married. I know, I know, he still works A LOT but back then it was 24, 72, and 96 hour shifts and he spent more time back East...4-6 weeks at a time. I was on my own with the kids quite a bit. We lived in Orem in a cute little house (I miss that house and the neighbors!!) and I worked at our family flower shop that was just 3 blocks up the street.
On this particular day, Jason was working at the fire station and I wanted to shower and that left me in what was becoming a daily dilemma. Brian was 2 and could not be left alone. The boy was fast on his feet and could climb anything. He was able to escape the 3 locks I had on the front and back doors in less than a minute and nothing was safe from his little hands.
I showered, quickly got dressed and walked downstairs to see what destruction awaited me. Half way down the stairs I could smell bacon. My heart began to race as I imagined my 2 year old at the stove frying bacon and grease spattering all over. I continued down and the smell got stronger and stronger. I made it to the kitchen and it took a minute for my brain to process what I saw... Brian was standing in the middle of the kitchen floor with the classic "Brian smile" on his face. Ethan was sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, his cheeks were as full as a chipmunks , drool ran down his chin, and his fists were full of something. Chair next to the fridge. The smell of bacon but no pan on the stove. And then I saw it...the empty bag of Beggin Strips dog treats that Ethan was half sitting on. I looked at Ethan again and now I knew what that something was that had his checks and fists so full. I quickly began to remove the dog treats from his mouth and tried to pry the pieces out of his hands. Ethan was screaming in protest and Brian was informing me that "Efan, eat bacon mom."
I made my weekly call to poison control and this is what was said...
Me: Hi, my son just fed my 1 year old beggin strips dog treats.
Poison control: Those are meant to be eaten.
Me: Yes, I know...eaten by the dog, not my child.
Poison control: They are completely safe. He could eat them everyday and be fine. We just had a mom call because her son just ate dog poop. That we don't recommend.
Me: Thanks??
bacon noun, meat from the back and sides of a pig, salted and smoked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"kids don't know it's not bacon!" :) Welcome back, obiwan jenobi!
Hallelujah! I think I hear choirs of angels singing!
Dog poop? I could tell you a few things about what happens when that is ingested. But you don't want to hear it. Promise.
Post a Comment