Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Faith and Trust

I love Jason. I am so grateful for him. He works so hard for our family and he is a great husband and dad. As most of you know, yesterday a police captain was shot by a woman he had pulled over. This kind of news always hits a little to close to home, it is a reminder of what can go wrong. I was talking to Jason last night about how my belief that...we are safe, it wont happen to us, or he/she is the good guy, is lessened when things like this happen. As I was trying to find something to help re-instill my belief that "we are safe", I came across this...

"I have just two things to say to you who are troubled about the future. I say them lovingly and from my heart.
First, we must never let fear and the father of fear (Satan himself) divert us from our faith and faithful living. Every person in every era has had to walk by faith into what has always been some uncertainty. This is the plan. Just be faithful. God is in charge. He knows your name and He knows your need.
Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ--that is the first principle of the gospel. We must go forward. God expects you to have enough faith, determination, and trust in Him to keep moving, keep living, keep rejoicing. He expects you to not simply to face the future; he expects you to embrace and shape the future--to love it, rejoice in it, and delight in your opportunities.
God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But he can't if you don't pray, and He can't if you don't dream. In short, He can't if you don't believe." --Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "This the Greatest of all Dispensations" Ensign, July, 2007

I hope that our family is never directly involved in such a tragic event. I would like to believe that cleaning the boys bathroom is the scariest thing my husband and I will ever face.

instill verb, to saturate, to infuse, to permeate

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I was thinking of you yesterday when Kristen and Chandra told me about what had happened. I am so grateful for women like you who find the strength to send their husbands to work every day in order to keep the rest of us safe. And I love the quote you found - especially the part about God not being able to answer our prayers and fulfill our dreams unless we pray and dream. I'm glad it brought you peace - Elder Holland has a remarkable way with words.

Kristen said...

Wow, I definately needed that today. Thank you for helping me along in my trials!