Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Memories...

Firefighters, with the exception of the few whose wives make so much money that it makes a fireman's wage look like paper route money, are known to have several jobs on the side. Jason's schedule used to be that he worked 10 or 11 24 hour shifts at the fire station each month leaving 20 days for him to fill. Over the years he has done a plethora of different things. Firefighter, Police Officer (main jobs), and on the side he teaches Hematology for UVU (UVSC in the good old days), teaches for Utah Fire and Rescue Academy, is a bodyguard (I'm not kidding) and a security officer for a private security company, is on the Utah State Fire Certification Council and is also a Deputy Park Ranger for Utah State Parks. The side job that lead to today's memory is when he worked for UVSC on their medical staff at the McKay Events Center.
I love country music...love, love, love it!!! Alabama was playing at the McKay event center and I so badly wanted to go. Well my dear, sweet hubby had scheduled to work the event and so while he was going to be there I was not. The night of the concert Jason called and asked me to bring pizza down to him and the guys. What a loser!!! He said that I could probably hear them singing from the medical office...if that made me want to kill him any less!! I got the pizza and drove to the college. I walked into the medical office and I gently set (OK, it was more like slammed) the pizzas on to the table and began my ranting and raving. "Do you all realize how lucky you are to be here, you are practically on sacred ground, my lame husband chose to work this rather that take me to see one of the greatest groups of all time...blah blah blah". It was at that point that someone walked up to my right side and put their arm around my shoulders. I figured it was one of the guys and looked to my right and said "what?" in a very sad and dejected voice. Are you ready for this...moment of silence please...it was Jeff Cook!! THE Jeff Cook!!! The fiddle player for Alabama. I was in shock...jaw on the floor shock!!! He had walked into the office right behind me. The guys all started laughing and Jeff (oh yeah, we are on a first name basis) thanked me for the shout out of love and dedication. He then said "stay here for a minute" and walked out of the room...okay medical people give me a bag I am hyperventilating. A minute later Jeff walked back in the room with a backstage pass and a wrist band so I could sit with the VIP family and friends...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! So little old me had better than front row seats to watch the guys I love perform and then I spent a little time with Randy, Teddy, Jeff and Mark backstage. So what seemed like the worst night turned into one of the greatest...for me...as for Jason and the other med guys, they all received a notice a few days later that all employees were to refrain from fraternizing with the featured guests. Sorry Jason!!!

plethora noun, a large or excessive amount of something, an abundance

1 comment:

Melanie said...

What's the problem with "fraternizing with the featured guests"? The guys from Alabama were clearly enjoying themselves. I think someone was just jealous and out to spoil other people's fun. What a fun night for you though!