Friday, June 27, 2008

Jen's Soapbox...


I have OCD. They say admitting the problem is the first step. First step to what??? I have OCD so bad some days that I get OCD about my OCD. I have always joked that I came to this planet in the wrong generation. There is just to much information assaulting from all sides and that can really mess up a person with OCD. The other day I made a list of what I should be doing as a wife, mother, and human. What I came up with is completely overwhelming. I think if I cut out breathing I can probably find time for 50% of the rest. Last Saturday Jason and I took a load of trash to the landfill. I haven't been there in such a long time and what I saw literally made me cry. We are such a wasteful people. I have entertained the idea of recycling for a while. We have the recycle can and I use it randomly. After seeing what I saw and reading more about recycling I am going to make a bigger effort (OCD should come in handy with this) to help reduce the amount of trash that I send to the landfill. The recycled bags for groceries...not an idea I am ready to embrace...yet. My list now has another "thing" to do. I am not in anyway trying to make the rest of you add this to your list. I strongly believe in the whole "Time and Season" principle and what "Time and Season" it is for me may not be the "Time and Season" it is for you. The little voice inside my head (no I don't answer back when it talks) is warning that I may become the crazy lady who saves every empty yogurt and cool whip container...Anyway, if you are interested, here is some of the info I have found...


ALUMINUM CANS

*More than 50% of a new aluminum can is made from recycled aluminum.

*The 36 billion aluminum cans landfilled last year had a scrap value of more than $600 million. (Some day we'll be mining our landfills for the resources we've buried.)

GLASS

*Americans throw away enough glass bottles and jars every two weeks to fill the 1.350-foot towers of the former World Trade Center.

*Most bottles and jars contain at least 25% recycled glass.

*Glass never wears out -- it can be recycled forever. We save over a ton of resources for every ton of glass recycled -- 1,330 pounds of sand, 433 pounds of soda ash, 433 pounds of limestone, and 151 pounds of feldspar.

*States with bottle deposit laws have 35-40% less litter by volume.

*If all the glass bottles and jars collected through recycling in the U.S. in 94 were laid end to end, they'd reach the moon and half way back to earth.

PLASTIC

*Every year we make enough plastic film to shrink-wrap Texas.

*Americans go through 2.5 million plastic bottles every year.

*26 recycled PET bottles equals a polyester suit. 5 recycled PET bottles make enough fiberfill to stuff a ski jacket.

*In 1988 we used 2 billion pounds of HDPE just to make bottles for household products. That’s about the weight of 90,000 Honda Civics.

*If every American household recycled just one out of every ten HDPE bottles they used, we’d keep 200 million pounds of the plastic out of landfills every year.

STYROFOAM/POLYSTYRENE (# 6)

*It is un-recyclable- you can't make it into new Styrofoam. The industry wants you to assume it is- don't BUY it!

*Each year American throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam cups, enough every year to circle the earth 436 times.


recycle verb, to process materials so they can be made into new products

1 comment:

Heylee said...

The joys of OCD. I'm with you sis. Now tell me were to recycle the 30 1 gallon Milk/Water jugs I have crammed in the closet. Oh and the 20 egg cartons.