Thursday, September 1, 2011

A rose by any other name...

I was correcting Brian's vocabulary assignment the other day and came across this...

4. You know I feel uneasy because

a. I smile all the time
b. I stand up straight
c. my clothes are new
d. my hands are shaking

Brian had marked "c" for his answer.  I asked him to explain what he thought that the word, uneasy, meant. He told me that wearing new clothes was uncomfortable and definitely made him uneasy.  I asked him if one of the other answers would be a better match and he quickly responded..."a".  He then showed me how he would smile to try and hide that he felt uneasy.  Once again I asked if another answer would be a better match.  His reply..."well it must be "b" then because my hands do NOT shake when I am uneasy".

uneasy  adjective, a little afraid, worried, uncomfortable

No comments: