Sunday, September 21, 2008

Getting there is half of the fun!!!

I packed for two days to get all of us (except Jason, I made him pack himself) ready to go. After finishing the packing late on Sunday night I called my mom to remind her to bring her drivers license to the airport...she responded with "I don't have my license". I went into panic mode. I called Jet Blue and was informed she would not be able to fly with us. They did suggest the option of going to the SLC DMV at 7:00 am to get her a state ID. Our flight was to leave at 8:20 am and even if the DMV only took 15 minutes (HAHAHAHAHAHA) we would never make it time for the 30 minute cut off for checking in. I called Jet Blue back and spoke to another lady who told me to have her bring anything that could verify her identity, show up 3 hours early, and hope that TSA would let her through. So began my sleepless night. I was so worried that I would oversleep and we wouldn't get to the airport early enough so instead of sleeping I read and wandered the house aimlessly. We left the house at 3:00 am and went to pick up my mom. She had every document imaginable to verify her identity...including the family history book her Uncle Gail had published last year. We picked up Jason's mom at 4:30 am and arrived at the airport at 5:00am...(Jen is now 23 hours no sleep). Okay, the Jet Blue lady is dead meat because the sign at the check in desk said they don't open until 7:00 am. Grrrrr!!! We sat and waited for 2 hours to check in...the whole time worrying that my mom wasn't going with us. We were first in line when they opened and the sweet lady at the desk said there wasn't any problem and my mom would be fine. We hit the security check point...note to all...travel with children...TSA is terrified of them and rushes you through super fast. My poor mom however had to be subjected to extra security due to the no picture ID, and thanks to Uncle Gail...the family history book worked like a charm. Can I just say how hard it was to not be my super sarcastic self and not say something really stupid while going through security...I almost said don't open that diaper bag if you don't want it to explode...meaning diapers and wipes and sippy cups everywhere, because I had it packed so full...they probably would have read that totally wrong...hey, I do have self control!! We grabbed breakfast and headed for our gate to wait for the plane...

Going on 26 hours without sleep!!


$50.00 in Burger King Airport Breakfast!!

Thanks to the kids we were able to board the plane first. We found our seats and got ready for whatever it was that was going to happen...Brian panicking, Joshie swearing...you can only imagine with my kids!!

Right before take-off!!

I can happily report that our flight went fantastically. The kids and grandmas were on their best behavior and everyone had a awesome time watching their own personal TV's. Thanks Jet Blue!

3 minutes after take-off!!

1 hour after take-off!!

To be continued....

airplane noun, a flying machine used to transport people or cargo moving through the air by means of motor driven propellers or engines and kept aloft by the upward thrust of the air on its fixed wings

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I don't know which was funnier - reading your blog or trying to explain to my sister over the phone why I was giggling when she called. I was laughing so hard that she couldn't understand what the heck I was talking about! I'm sure enjoying hearing about your vacation!